BBQ chicken skewers for easy midweek meal.
This satisfyingly spicy chicken skewer recipe is all about fresh, bright and zingy flavours.
Recipe courtesy of the food dept. (Recipe Sally Courtney, Art direction Anne Marie Cummins, Photography Brett Stevens, Styling Justine Poole)
PREP TIME: 40 mins COOK TIME: 20 mins SERVES: 6
1kg chicken breast fillets, cut into thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
200g chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 large bunches rosemary
3 limes, segmented
½ cup coriander leaves
½ sliced red onion
1 finely diced jalapeno chilli
½ teaspoon salt flakes
½ teaspoon sugar
1 drained and rinsed can of black beans
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and sauté onion, garlic and cumin, for 5 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
2. Combine with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, cider vinegar and maple syrup in a processor and blend until smooth.
3. Remove leaves from lower part of rosemary stalks and thread on chicken. Rub ½ the chipotle paste onto the chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
4. Bbq chicken skewers over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
5. Serve chicken on a platter with chargrilled tortillas, Lime and black bean salsa, avocado and sour cream.
6. Tip: Canned chipotle peppers in adobe sauce and canned black bens are available at specialty delicatessens. Left over marinade can be frozen.
7. To make lime and black bean salsa: In a bowl combine black beans, lime segments (squeeze over juice from membranes), coriander leaves, sliced red onion, jalapeno, remaining tablespoon olive oil, salt flakes and sugar.