Did someone say crackling?
Crispy on the outside, succulent and juicy in the centre. This pork belly recipe is worth every second of the cooking involved in this recipe.
PREP TIME: 24 hrs COOK TIME: 2 hrs SERVES: 4-6
1 x 1½kg boneless pork belly, skin scored
2 teaspoons salt flakes
1 teaspoon white peppercorns
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
1 tablespoon salt flakes
2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup water
2 star anise
1 tablespoon grated root ginger
2 small red chillis, finely sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons fish sauce
¼ cup fresh lime juice
Fried shallots, coriander leaves and julienned chilli, for garnish
Steamed rice and Asian greens, for serving
1. Rub the pork belly rind with 2 teaspoons salt flakes and place on a tray, refrigerate uncovered overnight to dry rind. The next day, pat rind dry and brush of any remaining salt.
2. Preheat oven 200C. Crush white peppercorns in a mortar and pestle, mix through Chinese five spice and 1 tablespoon salt flakes.
3. Rub pork rind well with the salt mixture and sesame oil, place rind side down in a baking dish and bake for 1 hour. Turn pork over, reduce to 180C and cook for another 1 hour or until tender.
4. While pork is cooking, combine coconut sugar and water in a saucepan, stir over medium heat until dissolved. Bring to boil, add star anise, ginger, chilli, soy, fish sauce and lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes or until syrupy.
5. Slice pork and serve drizzled with sauce, sprinkle over fried shallot, coriander and chilli. Serve with steamed rice and Asian greens.