A gluten free recipe for your festive feast.
When our Head Chef Dylan Kiem was living in Toronto, he was taken aback by the generous hospitality of North America. It was his first Christmas in Canada and everybody wanted to host him when they found out he didn’t have plans. This turkey breast roll recipe with apricot, pistachio and quinoa dressing (which is gluten-free!) is what he cooked for Christmas in Toronto.
Note: Ask your butcher to roll and stuff the turkey breast with a chicken sausage.
PREP TIME: 45 mins COOK TIME: 2 hours SERVES: 5-6
1x 1.5-2kg turkey breast stuffed with a chicken sausage meat of your liking
50ml melted butter
Salt and pepper to season
FOR THE DRESSING:
2 brown onion (diced)
1 carrot (diced)
2 sticks of celery (diced)
30g butter (or 30ml olive oil)
100g pistachio (toasted and chopped)
100g dried apricots (chopped)
10g Fresh chervil leaves (chopped)
10g fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C
2. In a roasting tray generously brush turkey with some butter and season with salt and pepper before roasting in preheated oven for 1.5hrs or until inserted meat thermometer reads 70°C (baste with excess butter periodically for golden roasted exterior at the end)
3. Rest under a loose cover of foil for a further 20min (the internal temperature will rise to 75°C) at which point the turkey roll will be ready to carve and serve.
4. Cook quinoa in (salted) boiling water until no longer crunchy (15min) strain off and allow to steam for another 5min, fluff with a fork keep the grains from fusing together.
5. Saute onion, carrots and celery with butter and a little salt on a low heat until soft.
6. Combine the sautéed vegetables in a bowl with quinoa, apricots, pistachios, fresh chopped herbs and lemon zest.
7. Season to taste with salt pepper and lemon juice.
8. The butter or oil from the sautéed vegetables should allow all the ingredients to clump together similar to a dressing.