Our store manager Nick shares his fave turkey recipe with zesty herb butter. He serves it with roast veggies (his pick is potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, parsnip, carrots, and yams roasted with garlic and fresh rosemary in duck fat). Can’t live without sauce? Nick makes gravy by mixing Vegemite, flour and boiling water and stirring this into the roasting pan. Delicious.
“Anytime I can get a roast meal I’m sold and Christmas time, having the time to get together with the fam around roast turkey is a special occasion. The zesty option fits perfectly with the warmer summer temps too,” says Nick.
PREP TIME: 30 mins COOK TIME: 2-3 hours SERVES: 8
Duck fat for the turkey
2-4 thin slices of orange and lemon (for decorating the turkey)
1/2 cup butter for the citrus herb butter
Lemon - 2 tbsp of juice and 2 tsp of finely grated rind for the citrus herb butter
Orange - 2 tbsp of juice and 2 tsp of finely grated rind for the citrus herb butter
Mix of fresh diced or dried herbs sage, rosemary, parsley, thyme for the citrus herb butter
2 cloves of crushed garlic for the citrus herb butter
2 onions chopped for the stuffing
1/3 of a loaf of white bread for the stuffing
Handful of sage leaves for the stuffing
Finely grated lemon or orange rind and juice for the stuffing
Add egg if you want to bind the stuffing more
Salt and pepper for stuffing and citrus herb butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Combine all stuffing ingredients in a bowl and stuff turkey.
3. Mix together the ingredients to make the citrus herb butter.
4. Loosen the skin over the breast meat and legs but pushing your hand under the skin.
5. Using your hand and spread the butter under the skin, inside the turkey and over the skin.
6. Stuff the turkey and tie legs with twine.
7. Coat roasting pan in duck fat, place the turkey in a roasting pan and decorate with slices of orange and lemon.
8. Roast the turkey per its weight. Approx 40 mins per kilo but internal temperature should be hitting 65 degrees minimum.
9. Remove the turkey from the oven and rest for 20 minutes covered with foil.
10. Carve and serve with the roast vegetables.