Perfect morsels for every occasion.
These dumplings make great party nibbles. Serve them on a platter with the dipping sauce or serve them individually on ceramic soupspoons, drizzle each with a little sauce.
Recipe courtesy of the food dept. (Recipe Sally Courtney, Art direction Anne Marie Cummins, Photography Brett Stevens, Styling Justine Poole)
PREP TIME: 30 mins COOK TIME: 30 mins MAKES: 48 dumplings
black sesame seeds, to serve
1 large red chilli, finely sliced
¼ cup Chinese red vinegar
¾ cup water
1 tablespoon oil
2 packets round dumpling wrappers
1 tablespoon corn flour
2 small red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon chilli paste
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy
½ cup chopped garlic chives
500g pork mince
1. In a bowl combine pork mince, garlic chives, soy, sesame oil, ginger, chilli paste, chilli, and cornflour.
2. To make dumplings place a wrapper in palm of hand and brush the edge with water.
3. Place a teaspoonful of pork mix into the wrapper and fold in half to encase pork.
4. Pleat the top layer of wrapper 3 times towards the centre on each side. (Pleating only top layer will create crescent shape). Press sides together firmly and place on a lined tray. Repeat.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan, over a medium heat. Add oil and arrange dumplings in pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes.
6. Carefully pour over water and cover pan with lid, cook for 6-8 minutes. Remove lid and cook until water has evaporated.
7. To make dipping sauce, combine vinegar and chilli in a bowl.
8. Serve dumplings sprinkled with black sesame and chilli vinegar dipping sauce.
9. TIP: The raw dumplings can be frozen for up to 1 month. Cook the frozen dumplings while still frozen and allow an extra 5 minutes with the lid on to ensure they dumplings are cooked through.