Fried pizza perfection with Skara pepperoni.
With origins in the heart of Naples, this Italian dinner is as delightful to eat as it is to prepare. The secret is out! Frying the pizza base gives a beautiful crusty texture on the outside and a melt in your mouth softness on the inside. Topped with a bit of spice from Skara's smoky matured European style pepperoni, it’s a winner.
PREP TIME: 5 mins COOK TIME: 15 mins SERVES: 1-2 people
1-2 Skara Pepperoni, sliced
200-300g fresh pizza dough, at room temperature
Extra plain flour
400g chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil2 tsp garlic
200g fresh mozzarella, shredded
Sage, basil or other herbs (optional)
1. For the sauce, add the chopped tomatoes, garlic and olive oil into a small saucepan on low-medium heat. Allow to simmer until heated through.
2. Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and break off a small fist size portion of pizza dough.
3. Place the dough onto the floured surface and sprinkle with extra flour. Knead the dough, pushing and pulling it out into a small flat circle until around ½ cm thick. Repeat for as many pizza bases as you’d like to make, then set aside.
4. Pour enough oil into a small fry pan to cover the cooking surface, then heat up to frying temperature. (To check this, place a wooden skewer or chopstick in the oil and if it bubbles at the tip, the oil is ready for frying.)
5. Take one of the pizza dough bases and stretch it out again before gently laying it into the pan. Fry for around 30 seconds to 1 minute. The dough will puff up and the underside will start to turn golden brown. Use a metal flipper, tongs or cooking chopsticks and gently turn over the base to cook the other side. Remove from the oil and place onto a plate covered with paper towel. Repeat for the remaining pizza bases.
6. Spoon sauce over each pizza base and layer with pepperoni and mozzarella. Eat immediately, or place under the grill for a few minutes to melt the cheese.Top with fresh herbs for that extra flavour kick.
Note: Ready-made pizza dough is available from supermarkets