A simple steak dinner is just the ticket.
Seek out a beautiful dry-aged sirloin from a mature animal and this will be one of the nicest steaks you will eat. Sitting between the rib cage and the rump, the sirloin is one of the most expensive cuts of beef. However it’s cost-effective in its own way; it requires very little intervention in the kitchen. It responds beautifully to quick cooking, whether cut into steaks or roasted whole.
PREP TIME: 5 mins COOK TIME: 6-7 mins SERVES: 4
1 tsp salt
1. Bring steak to room temperature
2. Heat your BBQ or griddle until it is hot enough to sizzle when the steak hits it
3. Season with salt just before you cook to avoid drawing out too much moisture
4. Oil the steak, not the grill or pan (this minimizes smoking)
5. Render the external fat by placing it fat side down on the BBQ
6. Once the fat is golden brown turn to cook on each side
7. Turn once you get a nice grill marks on each side. For rare cook for 4 - 5 mins, medium-rare 6 - 7 mins, medium 8 - 9 mins, and well done about 12 mins.
8. Remove and rest for around half the time you have cooked it. This allows the blood and juices to flow back through the entire steak.