A fuss-free family meal.
Make friends with a flavoursome Italian sausage and you will be cooking this quick pasta every week.
Recipe courtesy of the food dept. (Recipe Sally Courtney, Art direction Anne Marie Cummins, Photography Brett Stevens, Styling Justine Poole)
PREP TIME: 5 mins COOK TIME: 30 mins SERVES: 4
500g Italian pork sausages
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
½ cup red wine
3 cups passata
2 tablespoons oregano leaves, finely chopped
½ cup Ligurian olives
salt flakes and black pepper, to taste
extra oregano leaves and crumbled Parmesan, to serve
1. Squeeze sausage meat from casings and break up, set aside.
2. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
3. Increase heat and add sausage meat, cook 8-10 minutes until sausage meat is browned.
4. Add chilli flakes and fennel seeds, cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
5. Pour over red wine; add passata, oregano, olives, salt flakes and black pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has thickened.
6. While simmering, bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Cook spaghetti until al dente. Drain.
7. Divide spaghetti between serving plates and top with sauce. Garnish with oregano leaves and crumbled Parmesan.