Before he started slinging steaks at our Smokehouse & Grill, Dane was a chef at Rosetta Restaurant. His senior sous chef at the time passed on this roasted goose recipe to him – something he still looks back on fondly. The perfect centrepiece for your Christmas table, this roast goose has a delicious apple chutney to accompany.
PREP TIME: 30 mins COOK TIME: 2.5 hours SERVES: 4-6
zest from 5 lemons
zest from 3 limes
20g Chinese five-spice
1 bunch parsley
1 bunch sage
2 bunches thyme
250g Apple cider vinegar for the apple chutney
250g sugar for the chutney
1kg Granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into chunks for the chutney
300g brown onions small diced for the chutney
50g garlic ginger paste for the chutney
50g turmeric for the chutney
2 ceylon cinnamon sticks for the chutney
500g sultanas for the chutney
30g yellow mustard seeds for the chutney
10g crushed red pepper for the chutney
salt to taste
1. Score the goose in the breast and thighs. Remove giblets and excess fat.
2. Mix five-spice with lemon and lime zest with a touch of salt and pepper. Generously salt the cavity of the goose and rub the citrus mix onto the skin.
3. Place one bunch of parsley, thyme, and sage into the cavity.
4. Cover goose in tin foil and roast for 1.5 hours at 180c (strain goose fat when needed).
5. Remove foil and pour honey chopped thyme onto the goose. Roast for 30 minutes more to crisp and brown skin.
6. Cover loosely and rest for 15 minutes.
7. For the apple chutney, sweat onions until translucent.
8. Add garlic ginger paste, turmeric, chili peppers, and cinnamon until fragrant.
9. Add sugar and vinegar until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until chutney thickens. Cool and cover. Serve with roast goose.