Plus win a signed copy of Clodagh's Suppers and a $100 Vic's Meat Market gift card.
Irish chef Clodagh McKenna has released her new book Clodagh’s Suppers, a collection of 120 seasonal recipes, menus and personal secrets on how to elevate shared meals with family and friends to an inspired moment to remember with absolute ease. We chat to Clodagh about the book and her tips on cooking the perfect steak.
Clodagh's Suppers is now available to purchase in store at our butcher. Want a sneak peek? Try Clodagh's roast pork with apples and blackberries recipe.
What sparked your interest in food?
I have always loved cooking from a young age, baking on Saturday mornings with my mum and sisters was a ritual. From the age of 13 years old I spent my summers with a French family in France. The mother was a fantastic cook and I learned so much from her. Food has always been a massive part of my life.
Tell us about what makes Clodagh’s Suppers special to you.
Creating a beautiful a table to share seasonal home cooked food with friends and family. I love for the table and food to reflect the seasons, such as a fresh fig to be used as a holder for place names, and sprigs of blackberries on everyone’s napkin as well as in the cooking.
What’s your favourite recipe in the book?
Oh that’s a hard question! It depends on the season. As we are coming into the Autumn here in Australia I would say it has to be my Roast Pork with blackberries and apples. The colours sign of the season, and the sweet juices berries and apples lavish the pork with flavour and moistness.
Do you have a favourite meaty dish to cook?
I love casseroles at this time of the year and during the winter months. My Beef Casserole with herby potato dumplings is a fantastic wholesome pot, and great for sharing. I add a bit of dark chocolate into the beef casserole as it adds a beautiful silky texture and smoky flavour.
Any tips and tricks for cooking the perfect steak?
Yes I love a good steak! Here is how I cook mine.
1. Heat the griddle or frying pan over a high heat, until smoking hot.
2. Lightly brush the steak with a little olive oil and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Leave to warm up to room temperature, that’s about 30 minutes out of the fridge, you will get a more tender result.
3. Place the prepared steaks on the hot pan, and cook to the following times.
· Blue: 1 minute each side
· Rare: 1½ minutes each side
· Medium rare: 2 minutes each side
· Medium: 2¼ minutes each side
· Medium-well done: 2½ – 3 minutes each side.
4. Don’t turn the steaks until good seared markings are achieved, then turn them over and cook on the other side (see timings, above).
5. Leave the steak rest for about 3 minutes before serving, to allow the juices that have been drawn to the surface to relax back into the meat.
WANT TO WIN A SIGNED COPY OF CLODAGH'S BOOK AND A $100 GIFT CARD?
Purchase any pork product at our butcher from Friday 28 June 2019 until Friday 12 July 2019. Competition is only valid for loyalty members - it's free!
All Vic's Meat Market loyalty members will automatically go in the running when purchasing any pork product at our butcher from Friday 28 June 2019 until Friday 12 July 2019, swiping their loyalty card.
Winner will be drawn on Monday 15 July 2019.